Skip to main

Chaplaincy in residential aged care

Photos taken of Basma and Colin for the We Are Anglicare book

There are chaplains and pastoral carers in all of Anglicare’s residential aged care homes… and they would love to connect with you!

If you need pray or are looking for someone to have meaningful conversation with, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Darlene*, Mildred Symons House resident

The Chaplaincy team listen to me, hearing my fears and sorrows without judgement. It is like a cloak of warmth and comfort. With empathy and understanding our Bible study group is a godsend… with our cups of tea and biscuits! It gives me comfort and I feel accepted, no questions asked.

Beverley*, Eileen Armstrong House resident

I am always encouraged to see the Chaplaincy Team working in partnership with the Lifestyle and Care Teams to facilitate the residents coming together. Most recently we were greatly blessed by the gift of an indoor and outdoor Easter Garden. 

The imagination and richness of the installation brought together both a teaching moment and a tactile experience. The Easter story was appreciated anew, by residents, staff and visitors alike.

Sophie*, Residential Aged Care resident

Sophie had been attending Christmas activities organised by Anglicare Chaplain, Alli, for several months. Yet whenever Sophie was asked what she thought of the Bible and Jesus, all she would say was, “It’s interesting”. It wasn’t until Sophie and Alli had time alone, that she started to open up. After reading a Bible passage together, Sophie shared her questions about God.

They were personal and painful questions about suffering, the future and Heaven. Alli realised that God had been at work all this time, slowly softening Sophie’s heart and opening her eyes. And in God’s perfect timing, he created a moment for Sophie to voice her deepest questions in a safe place.

*Resident’s name has been changed to protect their privacy.

Anglicare acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the original and ongoing custodians of the lands and waters on which we live and work.

Inspired by the gospel of reconciliation in Jesus Christ, Anglicare's vision for reconciliation is a nation in which Australia's First Peoples are restored in dignity, respect, empowerment and opportunity.